Governments are susceptible to public pressure, whether through direct communication, via the ballot box, or from media exposure.
There are many ways to oppose this irresponsible plan to build an airport and industry on our best food land. Here are some:
1. Phone your Member of Parliament and state your opposition to this plan.
2. Print out and sign our petition. Ask friends, relatives, colleagues, neighbours to sign it too.
3. Write letters to editors or comment online of blogs or articles promote an airport or development on this prime farmland.
4. Write letters to government officials at all levels.
Contact Members of Parliament (particularly those representing the areas in question), or those ministers and their critics responsible for Transportation, Finance, the Environment, or Agriculture, and the Prime Minister himself. E-mail addresses, phone numbers, and mailing addresses can be obtained at www.canada.gc.ca/directories-repertoires/direct-eng.html. Letters sent by mail to Ottawa do not require postage.
The following is a sample letter that can be cut and pasted into an e-mail or printed and used verbatim. We encourage you to add your own words, thoughts, opinions, or facts.
I am writing to you to urge the federal government to cancel its recently announced plans for an airport in Pickering and for non-agricultural development on the adjoining federal land.. The land that was expropriated in 1972 is almost entirely class 1 agricultural land, the best there is, and it must be preserved as a secure source of local food. Keeping these lands agricultural will also help keep our air healthy and our water supply clean. Future generations will be the victims or the beneficiaries of what we decide to do today.
5. Display Land Over Landings lawn signs will show your support for the cause! Signs are 18"x24" coreplast. You can order NO PICKERING AIRPORT! in red and black on white or the Land Over Landings logo and webpage in green and black on white. Or you can order both! All signs include stakes and hardware and are $15 each. Additional donations are very welcome!:
Contact us to learn other ways you can help save the land.